DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS and ICT
MATHEMATICS is the science of structure, order and relation that evolved from the elemental practices of counting, measuring and describing shapes. It deals with logical reasoning and quantitative calculation and has a great practical and cultural impact on how we live and the world at large.
In KINGSFOLD INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY (KIA), we offer both national and international curricula that reflect the needs and values of learners in this present world. We provide an enabling environment for learners to discover their potential and develop their problem-solving skills in Mathematics which makes them stand at par with their peers in the world.
- To recognize that Mathematics is all around us in everything we do.
- To enjoy Mathematics and develop patience and persistence when solving problems
- To use appropriate mathematical concepts and skills to solve problems in real-life situations
- To develop the learners’ abstract, logical and critical thinking ability to reflect on their work and that of others
Principles of Teaching and Learning Mathematics
- We aim to:
Build on what the learners know both mathematically and experimentally and thereby creating and connecting them to new ideas.
- Engage learners with a variety of challenging tasks that afford them opportunities to make proper decisions and the right approach to solving problems.
- Create an enabling environment where all learners can interact and contribute meaningfully which boosts their concentration and interest.
- Provide appropriate support and intervention to Special Educational Needs (SEN) learners to meet up with other learners.
- Adopt the right teaching methods and strategies to support and challenge learners.
- Find opportunities to differentiate learning
- Teaching focused on individuals or groups working together and independently
- Allow learners to explain their idea to avoid misconception
- Use of instructional visuals and images to explain a concept
- Paired or group work